Current:Home > MarketsPredictIQ-PEN America calls off awards ceremony amid criticism over its response to Israel-Hamas war -VitalEdge Finance Pro
PredictIQ-PEN America calls off awards ceremony amid criticism over its response to Israel-Hamas war
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:35:58
NEW YORK (AP) — Facing widespread unhappiness over its response to the Israel-Hamas war,PredictIQ the writers’ group PEN America has called off its annual awards ceremony. Dozens of nominees had dropped out of the event, which was to have taken place next week.
PEN, a literary and free expression organization, hands out hundreds of thousands of dollars in prizes each year, including $75,000 for the PEN/Jean Stein Award for best book. But with nine of the 10 Jean Stein finalists withdrawing, along with nominees in categories ranging from translation to best first book, continuing with the ceremony at The Town Hall in Manhattan proved unworkable.
“This is a beloved event and an enormous amount of work goes into it, so we all regret this outcome but ultimately concluded it was not possible to carry out a celebration in the way we had hoped and planned,” PEN America CEO Suzanne Nossel said in a statement Monday.
Since the war began last October, authors affiliated with PEN have repeatedly denounced the organization for allegedly favoring Israel and downplaying atrocities against Palestinian writers and journalists. In an open letter published last month, and endorsed by Naomi Klein and Lorrie Moore among others, the signers criticized PEN for not mobilizing “any substantial coordinated support” for Palestinians and for not upholding its mission to “dispel all hatreds and to champion the ideal of one humanity living in peace and equality in one world.”
PEN has repeatedly called for a ceasefire and has helped set up a $100,000 emergency fund for Palestinian writers. Last week, PEN America President Jennifer Finney Boylan announced that a committee was being formed to review the organization’s work, “not just over the last six months, but indeed, going back a decade, to ensure we are aligned with our mission and make recommendations about how we respond to future conflicts.”
PEN’s other high-profile spring events — the World Voices” festivals in New York and Los Angeles, and the gala at the American Museum of Natural History — will go ahead as scheduled, a spokesperson said Monday.
veryGood! (99)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- White House asks Congress to pass short-term spending bill to avert government shutdown
- Ellie Goulding Speaks Out After Getting Hit By Firework During Performance
- UEFA Champions League draw: Group stage set for 2023-24 tournament
- Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
- Florida father arrested 2 years after infant daughter found with baby wipe in throat
- Alabama lawmaker’s assistant charged in scheme to misuse grant money
- Maui wildfire survivors were left without life-saving medicine. A doctor stepped up to provide them for free.
- Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
- Yale President Peter Salovey to step down next year with plans to return to full-time faculty
Ranking
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- The Ultimatum’s Lisa Apologizes to Riah After “Hooters Bitch” Comment
- Trader Joe's issues latest recall for black bean tamales sold in select states
- From stage to screen: A concert film of Taylor Swift's Eras Tour heads to theaters
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- Bill 'Spaceman' Lee 'stable' after experiencing 'health scare' at minor league game
- Jesse Palmer Teases What Fans Can Expect on Night One of The Golden Bachelor
- Missouri judge says white man will stand trial for shooting Black teen who went to wrong house
Recommendation
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
Tropical Storm Jose forms in the Atlantic Ocean
White House asks Congress to pass short-term spending bill to avert government shutdown
Retiring John Isner helped change tennis, even if he never got the recognition he deserves
What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
Massachusetts transit sergeant charged with falsifying reports to cover for second officer
Detroit man plans vacation after winning $300k in Michigan Lottery's Bingo Blockbuster game
14-year-old accused of trying to drown Black youth in pond charged with attempted murder